Total Soil Needed for 4' x 4' x 6" Bed: 8 Cubic Feet
- 1/3 Coarse Grade Vermiculite (Palmetto Vermiculite in SC)
- 1/3 Sphagnum Peat Moss (bag is compressed, when opened it about doubles)
- 1/3 Blended Compost (a variety of types -- 5 preferred)
Since my first garden is being paid for by birthday and Christmas gifts I am taking the easy route and buying pre-mixed, bagged soil. Instead of jewelry or lovelies of some sort I will request dirt! Both Lowes and Home Depot have it listed on their websites, but it is not yet in stock in the stores (shipping from HD is $10 a bag and Lowes does not ship it). I am hoping my local Lowes will stock it soon.
- Garden Time 32-Quart Organic Potting Soil from Lowes
- Nature's Way 1.5 cu. ft. Square Foot Gardening Potting Soil Mix from Home Depot
Soil upkeep from year to year is simply to add homemade compost.